Teaching Quality Standards
Strategy Seven in The University’s strategic plan focuses on the development of the capacity to identify and promulgate excellence in teaching. The first three initiatives under this strategy seek to establish minimum standards for teaching, develop additional tools and strategies to identify and promulgate excellence and for Divisions to develop strategies to achieve teaching excellence.
These initiatives are led by the DVC(E) and Director Teaching and Learning. The ITL is supporting the University’s work on this aspect of the Strategic Plan through the Teaching Standards Project and its ongoing Analytics Teaching and Curriculum Data work which manages the collection and reporting of the University’s teaching quality assurance data.
An overview of the ITL Teaching Quality Standards Project Plan is available here.
Progress on the Teaching Standards Project is reported through regular updates to SEG Education and faculties are supported through the ITL Associate Deans L&T Group.
Key current activities include:
- Supporting faculties in identifying key faculty strategic priorities to address through 2014 Compacts
- Developing implementation and support strategies for achieving the SEG endorsed 2014 Compacts targets. Read the cover note for the 2014 Compacts.
- Focusing on how to address the SEG endorsed minimum standards for the quality of students’ experience of units of study.
- Supporting faculty priorities, for example: assurance of learning outcomes and processes; student retention, progression and support; building sessional staff teaching capacity; implementing curriculum renewal. See your faculty’s Compact.
Next steps include:
- Working on Compacts strategies with Education Portfolio Support.
- Reporting on progress on 2014 Compacts targets.
- Development of additional minimum standards in relation to University and faculty strategic T&L priorities
If you would like to contribute to this project please contact Simon Barrie.